Monday, March 31, 2008

TVNZ 7 launches on Freeview only

Now this really annoys me. Yesterday TVNZ launched its new "news" channel called TVNZ 7 (wow, what an original name). Trouble is, this channel is only available on Freeview. So if you're like me and already have a digital TV service - Sky Digital, like half of the country - then you will miss out on this new channel. And the reason this annoys me is that this channel is government funded! Minister of Broadcasting Trevor Mallard says TVNZ 7 will get $79 million of government funding over five years to help it foster a New Zealand identity. Unbelievable! If this is a government funded channel shouldn't it be put onto Sky Digital so as many New Zealanders as possible get to see it - not just the small percentage of viewers who have Freeview? Why should I fork out $300 to get another digital set-top box when I already have one? Other "government funded" channels are already on Sky Digital such as TV One, TV2, Maori Television, Te Reo, and Parliament TV. I'm a tax payer so I should be entitled to get TVNZ 6 and TVNZ 7 on the digital platform I already have without having to pay more.

Meanwhile TV3 are starting its HDTV broadcasts this week. Oh well, it well be a while before I will be able to receive these broadcasts, "being heralded as the biggest advance in television since the introduction of colour" (yeah, whatever). I'll need to fork out a few thousand dollars for a HD compatible TV and subscribe to Freeview's terrestrial service - good grief!

For more information see:
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200803310707/27bc803f

No comments: