Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sad, sad day for New Zealand

We all thought it would be a straightforward win to the All Blacks in the World Cup quarter final this morning, and I was thinking wouldn’t it be funny if NZ lost the match against France. When I was watching the match this morning and the All Blacks were in the lead at half-time I thought they would win no problem. But as is the case all too often with NZ sport, when it comes to the crunch, they fail. Hence, France won the match 20-18. The worst result ever in a World Cup for NZ – bailing out in the quarter final!

S0 who do we blame for the match? The coach? The players? Or maybe the referee. The referee did make a couple of significant mistakes which could have cost NZ the match – the unnecessary sending off of one of the players, and the forward pass by the French before their winning try. Unfortunately referees are not perfect so I guess they do make mistakes, but he shouldn’t have made mistakes like that at this level of rugby. I’m sure there will be an inquest into the All Black’s lost and perhaps some heads will roll too.

NZ had three chances this year at being world champions and I thought at least we’d win a couple of them – the cricket world cup, the America’s Cup, and the rugby world cup – but, we won none! I think NZ sporting teams get too confident of themselves and completely lose it at the end.

Whether we like it or not it is a national disaster. Rugby is the number one sport in this country and it means a lot to a lot of people. It was even the main thing discussed at church today!

There are just two things I wish to say – roll on 2011, and Bloody French!!

1 comment:

GABRIEL - ADRIAN said...

My name is gabriel, i'm from romania.
I enjoy rugby - just watching tv. i am a big fun of the "all blacks".
No words to say about that quarterfinal. I just expect 2011, and the ALL BLACKS to smash France, and of course to be the WORLD CHAMPIONS