Thursday, June 21, 2007

A load of garbage!

As this is The Waipa Blog I thought I had better write something about the Waipa District! Earlier this week I received one of the new wheelie bins from EnviroWaste (obviously contracted to do rubbish collection by the Waipa District Council). I can use this wheelie bin for the next three weeks as a free trial, but then it will cost me money!

A flyer came attached to the bin stating the prices. It says on the flyer “Did you know an EnviroWaste wheelie bin collection costs less per litre than a prepaid rubbish bag!” Well, this may be true, but will it be any cheaper for me?

There are three payment options for the bin, annual for $150, six-monthly for $75, and monthly for $13. They say it’s cheaper if you currently use two bags per week – but I use one bag every two weeks! The bags are $2.20 each, so it would only cost me about $4.40 per month (cheaper than $13), $28.60 per six months (cheaper that $75), and $57.20 per year (much cheaper than $150). So even though bins may be much more convenient than bags, I’d rather save about $100 per year! I’ll take full advantage of the trial but I won’t be paying a cent for it after that.

So if any one in the Waipa District is reading this then do the sums for yourself rather than what EnviroWaste says.

No comments: