Thursday, May 24, 2007

Is there enough Maori content on TVNZ?

To answer the above question quickly I would say Yes, given the percentage of Maori in New Zealand compared to the percentage of Maori programming on TVNZ (at a very rough guess).

CEO of TVNZ, Rick Ellis, said yesterday there is plenty of Maori content in TVNZ programmes such as Dream Home, Shortland Street, Ten Years Younger, Intrepid Journeys, Location Location, Animal House, Game of Two Halves, Police Ten-7, Charm School, and Lost Children. Let me see how many of these programmes I watch ... mmmm ... none! Why not? Becuase they are crap that's why! Why would I waste my time watching these cheesy shows on TV One and TV2 when there are so many other good programmes on the many other channels we have available to us?

So as I don't watch any of these shows then I don't really know how much Maori content are on these programmes. But at a rough guess I would say not much at all. I like what Pita Sharples said, "Simply saying "kia ora bro" on television does not make it Maori programming."
(See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10441525&ref=rss)

Although it's a bit funny that Police Ten-7 was mentioned as one of these programmes. Is he having a dig at the old joke that Crimewatch was a Maori programme because most of the criminals were Maori?!

I personally don't think we need any more Maori content on TV. We already have a whole channel devoted to Maori programming - Maori Television. And this channel is free-to-air as well. What about all the other ethnic groups in NZ? Yes, there are special Asian channels on Sky Digital, but you have to pay quite a bit to watch these.

But all this doens't really worry me too much, as I hardly watch the rubbish on TVNZ anyway.

No comments: